I have got a lovely little smoothie recipe for you all today. It's just going to be a quick post because I'm heading out in a while, but it's something I need to share as soon as possible.
This is a very healthy strawberry pina colada smoothie. I got inspired to go the pina colada route with my smoothie by noticing that the fresh pineapples were on sale at the shops earlier this week. So I also snapped up some bananas and coconut milk to see what I could create.
Also noticing that I had overabundance of fresh strawberries (about the only fruit my 6- & 2-year-old sons will devour), I decided I'd incorporate those into my pina colada smoothie as well. I searched online for strawberry pina colada smoothies and found some yummy ones, but the strawberry lava flow pina coladas (have a look on Pinterest) looked spectacular. I had to make a smoothie like this.
And you know what? It's really easy!
The strawberry lava flow is made with just pureed strawberries. Feel free to sweeten the puree if your strawberries aren't lovely and sweet (any sweetener will work, I used a touch of agave). The puree is poured into the bottom of your serving glasses and set aside while you make the pina colada. This particular recipe uses just fresh pineapple, bananas and coconut milk (again, feel free to sweeten with any sweetener you like), and it's quickly blended together in a food processor, blender or immersion blender. Now all you need to do is pour the smoothie into the strawberry puree and the puree flows up the sides of the glass, creating a lava flow look. How awesome is that!
I served mine with a slice of fresh pineapple, a paper umbrella and a paper straw. And I totally pretended I was on a tropical island as I was enjoying this delicious smoothie!
Vegan Strawberry Pina Colada Smoothie
- 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen pineapple
- 1 large frozen banana sliced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- a handful of fresh strawberries about 6-8
- Sweetener of your choice optional
- Puree strawberries (sweeten, if desired) and pour into the bottom of your serving glasses (the puree should be about 1-2 inches deep).
- Place pineapple, banana and coconut milk into a food processor, blender, or use an immersion blender. Blend until completely smooth. Taste and sweeten, if desired.
- Pour smoothie into the center of the strawberry puree and watch the puree flow up the sides of the glass, it's really cool!
- Serve with pineapple wedges, extra strawberries, paper straws and umbrellas.