Whoever said you can't bake churros is wrong! With this Easy Churros for Cheaters recipe - you can! And it's even better than the real thing!
Hey guys, long time no see! What's been happening? I know it's been forever since I've updated (nearly a year!), but I needed a big break. Food hasn't been a large part of my life lately; I've been trying out other things and also reconnecting with myself since ALL OF MY KIDS ARE FINALLY AT SCHOOL ALL DAY ALL WEEK! WOW! I eventually realized, though, that I do really love my little foodblog and I'd like to get back into this.
So, enough with the boring chatter... let's see what recipe I have decided to share with you as a comeback! I think you're going to like it, especially if you like to take shortcuts.
You've all had churros before, right? Crispy, fried sticks of cinnamonny goodness, usually dipped in a thick ganache-like chocolate sauce? Yeah, they're amazing! Have you wanted to make them at home?? They're relatively easy to make from scratch, as well, but are usually regarded as a bit tricky. And a lot of you don't like frying things.
But the recipe I have for you today just requires frozen puff-pastry so you don't have to make the churro dough from scratch AND you don't have to mess around with a big pot of hot oil.
Don't these look absolutely beautiful! It's almost too good to be true, and if I had to tell you my honest opinion (I wouldn't lie to you guys anyway!), I actually prefer THESE churros to the real thing!
To break it down for you, you slice two sheets of puff pastry into 20 strips (about 1-inch each), twist the strips a few times and bake them for just over 10 minutes. Meanwhile, stir together some cinnamon and sugar, and melt some butter. When you take the churro sticks out, brush them lightly with the melted butter (be careful not to burn yourself if they're too hot!) and sprinkle over the cinnamon/sugar mixture. DONE!
The best part is, they are so crispy and flaky!
Oh wait, you're going to want some dipping chocolate. Yeah, that's easy, too. Just melt some chopped chocolate together with some thickened cream in a double boiler (ie, a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water). ALSO DONE!
Seriously, again, look at these! Gorgeous!
These easy churros for cheaters are all kinds of amazing, so don't let anyone tell you that you can't bake churros - with this cheat's recipe, YOU CAN!
Easy Churros For Cheaters!
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry thawed
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 100 g dark chocolate chopped
- 30 g unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Cut each pastry sheet into 10 strips and twist each strip a few times so that you end up with a sort of straw; pinch the bottom and top tips to stop them from unrolling. Place the strips onto the prepared baking trays. Bake for 14 minutes, or until puffed up and golden.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar and cinnamon in a large shallow dish. Place cream and chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water; stir occasionally until combined and smooth.
- Brush hot pastry sticks with the melted butter and immediately roll them in the cinnamon/sugar mixture; you will probably need to sprinkle over the cinnamon/sugar to completely cover the sticks.
- Serve immediately with the chocolate dipping sauce and ENJOY!
Pin this recipe for later!